Finding it hard to fit nutritious meals into your busy day? Why not start with breakfast?
In an attempt to find a healthy, filling and tasty breakfast, our love affair with granola bowls has truly blossomed. Cheesy, we know. But when we find a quick and easy breakfast that gives you the perfect head-start to a nutrition-filled day we can’t help but get a little excited.
Over our granola-eating years, our bowls have grown from a simple milk and granola combo to a meal filled with antioxidants, fibre, protein and more. Hence we thought we’d share our quick and easy granola recipe as well as our current favourite toppings to inspire both our granola-newcomers, as well as the veterans out there who feel they need a little something extra to brighten up their bowl.
HOMEMADE GRANOLA RECIPE
3 cups of oats
3/4 cups of shredded coconut
1 cup of whatever nuts you like
1/2 cup of pumpkin/sunflower/sesame seeds (or whatever seeds you like)
1/4 cup of coconut oil (if you prefer you can leave this out but will be a little less crunchy)
1/4 cup of maple syrup/honey (might add a little more if not using oil)
Mix and spread on a baking tray.
Put in a preheated oven at 120°C for 1 hr, turning the mixture over every 20 minutes.
Mix everything and store in an airtight container.
What to Put in Your Bowl
One of the best parts about this breakfast is you can truly make it your own- steal the bits you like and ditch the bits you don’t.
First of all, we’ve got the basics, the blank canvas if you will:
- FRUIT- We are a big berry family when it comes to breakfast so we love a strawberry, raspberry, blueberry and blackberry combo. Alternatively, a mixed fruit salad (apple, plum, mango, grapes etc.) is also tasty... or essentially anything you can find in your fruit bowl.
- YOGHURT- We tend to mix it up depending on what we have in the fridge but some of our favourites are:
And now for the fun part… THE TOPPINGS:
Personally, we love to use these bowls as a way to sneak in a whole lot of nutritious goodness.
- PEANUT BUTTER- As I’m sure you can tell from our Peanut Butter Cups, we are big peanut butter fans. Unsurprisingly, we love a little dollop of peanut butter mixed in with our bowl.
- HOMEMADE CHIA JAM- You can find the recipe for our homemade chia jam using the link below... we like to throw in a spoonful into our bowls:
- MILLED FLAXSEED (We use Linwoods)- Another source of lots and lots of good stuff…
- Flaxseed contains the omega-3 fatty acid ALA, lignans (antioxidant and estrogen properties), fibre and good quality protein.
- HOMEMADE BANANA ICE CREAM
- I know, I know, another recipe within a recipe but I promise this is as simple as they come... Just another potential add-on if you fancy a bit of a twist. We sometimes like to add a scoop of this quick and easy banana ice cream, which you can find at the link below:
- BANANA ICE CREAM IGTV
And of course last but not least, you may have noticed as a chocolate snacks brand, we are indeed a chocolate-loving household and I mean we’ve already got all this goodness in a bowl, what would be better than to finish it off with a little bit of, you guessed it... CHOCOLATE!
If you haven't already added them to your granola (or even if you have ;)), we love throwing in a combination of our Raspberry Chocolate Raisins and Chocolate Covered Hazelnuts to create the perfect granola bowl magic.
Now considering a lot of the inspiration for this post came from all the wonderful breakfast bowls we’ve been tagged in on Instagram, we thought we might share a bit of that inspiration with you here!
BREAKFAST BOWLS GALORE!!
Clearly there are endless options to try out and feel free to check out our “tagged in” section on Instagram, where you can see all the wonderful creations by accounts such as these… they just make it look so gorgeous and so delicious, right? If you do jump on the granola bowl bandwagon be sure to tag us on Instagram so we can see all those gorgeous bowls and inspire each other!
Love the supernature team xo